- noun a device which produces electricity
- A mechanism that transforms mechanical power intoelectrical power.
- A device which converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. Such a device is usually rotary, and may, for instance, utilize magnetic flux to convert angular displacement into electricity. Also called dynamo, or generator (2).
- A device which converts another form of energy into electrical energy. Examples include dynamos, batteries, and oscillators. Also called generator (3).
- synonymelectrical generator