- A material or enclosure which blocks the effects of an electric field, while allowing free passage to magnetic fields. It may consist, for instance, of a wire mesh or screen which provides a low-resistance path to ground. Utilized, for example, to prevent interaction between circuits, or to enhance the directivity of an antenna. Another example is a metallized plastic bag which helps protect circuit boards against electrostatic discharges during storage and handling, en route to being installed. Such a bag does not have to be grounded. Also called electrostatic screen (1), electrostatic shield (1), electric screen (1), or electrical screen (1).
- An electrostatic shielding (1) which serves to confine an electric field within an enclosure. Also called electrostatic screen (2), electrostatic shield (2), electric screen (2), or electrical screen (2).
- The use of an electrostatic shielding (1), or electrostatic shielding (2).
- synonymelectric screening
- synonymelectric shielding
- synonymelectrical screening
- synonymelectrical shielding
- synonymelectrostatic screening
- synonymelectric screen
- synonymelectric shield
- synonymelectrical screen
- synonymelectrical shield
- synonymelectrostatic screen
- noun a metal cage surrounding sensitive equipment and connected to ground to protect it from interference