- A circuit, device, piece of equipment, program, system, or method utilized to encode. For instance, computer hardware and/or software used for such a purpose.
- In a TV transmitter, a circuit or device which transforms the separate red, green, and blue camera signals into color-difference signals, and combines these with the chrominance subcarrier. Also called color encoder, or matrix (3).
- An electromechanical device, such as a shaft-position encoder, which converts the rotations of a shaft into pulses.
- A device which converts an analog quantity into a digital signal.
- A device or piece of equipment which prints characters in a certain font and places them in specific locations, so as to facilitate being read by optical character recognition devices.