- noun the study of the relationship between people at work and their working conditions, especially the machines they use
- The interaction between people and work, particularly the design of machinery and work stations, to suit the body and to permit work with minimum fatigue.
- The science dealing with the design and creation of devices, equipment, and environments which factor in the needs of its human users. That which is ergonomic, for instance, seeks to maximize comfort, posture, safety, and ease of use. Also called human-factors engineering.
(written as Ergonomics)The study of the interaction between people, their work place and working environment, including the assessment of the physiological effects on workers of the design of tools, equipment and working methods.
Information & Library Science
- noun the study of people at work with the aim of improving safety and making machines and equipment easier to use
- noun the study of humans at work