• The protective plate, usually metal or plastic, that surrounds a door keyhole or a light switch.
  • A pipe flange covering a floor hole through which the pipe passes. See also faceplate.


  • A decorative and/or protective plate or flange which frames openings or spaces surrounding dials, knobs, indicators, or other panel-mounted components. Also called escutcheon plate.

Real Estate

  • noun a plate or shield fixed around something such as a light switch or keyhole, as an ornament or to protect the surrounding surface