Evans's Supper Room
- One of the best-known centres of London night life in the 19thcentury, situated on the corner of King Street, Covent Garden. Thepremises were opened as a hotel (1773) and subsequently occupied by the star Dinner and Coffee Room, much frequented by the nobility.The name 'Evans's Supper Room' derives from W. H. Evans, a member of the chorus at Covent Garden, who acquired the venue in theearly 1840s. Evans's soon became the most famous song-and-supper room in London with a reputation for 'blue' entertainment and bawdy songs. Women were only permitted to attend if they gave a full name and address at the door, and were obliged to watch the show from behind screens.The performer 'Paddy' Green took over in 1844 and built a splendid new hall with a platform at one end.
Evans's is generally regarded as the most important precursorof the music hall. The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII)was a frequent visitor in the 1860s. From 1934 until 2002 the premiseswere occupied by the Players' Theatre, which specialized inpresenting full-dress recreations of early Victorian music hall.