- noun a piece of software which applies the knowledge, advice and rules defined by experts in a particular field to a user’s data to help solve a problem
- An application of artificial intelligence which incorporates a knowledge base and an inference engine. It assists users in problem solving within its knowledge base, and is meant be the equivalent of a human expert, though a well-designed expert system can amply exceed such capabilities. Some such systems incorporate new knowledge with problem-solving experience. Used, for instance, to assist in medical diagnosis, weather projections, and so on.
- A computer system incorporating an expert system (1).
Information & Library Science
- noun software which applies the knowledge of experts in a field to solve problems and partly replicates human decision making
- noun a type of computer program that can analyse a set of problems and recommend a course of action for the user
- noun a computer program that is designed to imitate the way a human expert in a particular field thinks and makes decisions
- noun software that applies the knowledge, advice and rules defined by an expert in a particular field to a user’s data to help solve a problem.