- noun the fact of not achieving the desired end or ends
- noun an act of breaking down or stopping
- noun the fact of not passing a course, a test, or an examination
- noun the fact of not doing something which you promised to do
- A deficiency of a structural element that makes it unable to continue the load-bearing function for which it was originally designed.
- The condition in which a component, circuit, device, piece of equipment, system, or material no longer performs the function it was intended to, or is not able to do so at a level that equals or exceeds established minimums. Failures may be due to any of various factors, including inherent defects, misuse, wearing-out, or as a consequence of the failure of another component, circuit, device, piece of equipment, or system. Failure may be gradual or sudden, and may be partial, intermittent, or complete.
- noun a lack of success in or at something