- noun the retrieval of unwanted files from a database through the use of incorrect search codes
- noun a batch of unwanted files retrieved from a database through the use of incorrect search codes.
- Within a data search, an item or result which is irrelevant or undesired. For example, a user utilizing a search engine to find information on speaker woofers, and retrieving information on dogs. Also called false retrieval.
- synonymfalse retrieval
Information & Library Science
- noun a citation that does not relate to the subject being searched
- noun an irrelevant reference in indexing