filling in



  • noun a printing fault where the ink runs and fills up the counters of round letters such as ‘g’ or ‘b’, or where it fills in the spaces between halftone dots
  • noun the process of sticking a thin layer of card onto boards after the leather has been put on in quarter or half binding, to make the surface level