- noun a thin flat projection on the body of a fish
- noun a fixed vertical aerofoil at the rear of an aircraft
Cars & Driving
- noun a projecting thin flat part, such as the cooling fins on an air-cooled cylinder, or the large vertical member at the rear of some streamlined record-breaking cars, intended to aid directional stability
- A narrow, linear projection on a formed concrete surface, resulting from mortar flowing out between spaces in the formwork.
- A projecting plate or vane utilized for cooling a component, device, or piece of equipment. It provides an additional surface area for the dissipation of heat. Also called cooling fin.
- noun a thin, flat projection on an aircraft, missile or other projectile, which provides extra stability during flight
- noun a five-dollar bill. From the Yiddish finif, meaning five.
Origin & History of “fin”
is a word common
to the Germanic languages of northeast Europe (German has finne
, Dutch vin
), but its ultimate source
is not clear
. The likeliest candidate is Latin pinna
‘feather, wing’ (source of English pin, pinion
, and pinnacle
), although another suggestion is Latin spīna