- noun the process of splitting
- noun a process of reproduction, in which an organism splits in two and two complete new organisms grow, as in corals
- verb to split an atomic nucleus
- Process of decomposition of unstable atomic nuclei, and the basis of atom bombs and nuclear reactors. Nuclear fission in nature happens at a known rate for particular isotopes (half-life) which allows the age of meteorites and other rocks to be determined. It is also the source of heat within the bodies of planets, including the Earth, allowing the Earth to have a molten, metallic core which drives its magnetic field. Stars are driven by fusion rather than fission but the fusion process (carbon cycle) involves both fission and fusion to reach its end result of producing helium from hydrogen.
- noun the act of dividing into two or more parts