General English


  • In architecture, one of multiple grooves or channels of semi-circular to semi-elliptical sections, used to decorate and to embellish members, such as the shafts of columns.


  • An indentation pressed into the edge of pie or pasty for decoration or to help seal two edges of pastry together


  • a tall, thin glass with a long stem, usually used to serve Champagne
  • a tall, thin bottle used in different countries and regions, e.g. in parts of Germany and France

Origin & History of “flute”

Provençal flaut was probably the original source of flute, and it reached English via Old French floute or floite. where flaut came from, however, is another matter, and a much disputed one. some etymologists claim that it is ultimately simply an imitation of a high-pitched sound, its initial consonant cluster perhaps provided by Provençal flajol ‘small flute or whistle’ (source of English flageolet (17th c.), but itself of unknown origin) and Latin flāre ‘blow’; others suggest a specific blend of flajol with Provençal laut, source of English lute. The sense ‘groove’ developed in English in the 17th century, from a comparison with the long thin shape of the instrument.

Related forms in English include flautist (19th c.), whose immediate source, Italian flautisto, preserves the au diphthong of the Provençal source word flaut (American English prefers the older, native English formation flutist (17th c.)); and perhaps flout (16th c.), which may come from Dutch fluiten ‘play the flute’, hence ‘whistle at, mock’.