- noun a specific method of arranging text or data
- noun the precise syntax of instructions and arguments
- In construction, the standard arrangement of a project manual as set by the A.I.A. with bidding information, contract forms, conditions of the contract, and 16 subdivisions of specifications.
- The general size, shape, and organization of something.
- A specific manner in which something is structured, presented, or utilized. For instance, an audio or video format.
- In computers, a specific manner of arranging, accessing, processing, saving, displaying, or printing. Examples include data formats, file formats, address formats, record formats, text formats, and so on. Also, to assign such properties.
- To prepare a computer disk for utilization. In doing so, the operating system performs tasks such as testing the disk, marking any bad sectors, and organizing the available space into specialized compartments along with addressing, for later access and manipulation of data. Also, to prepare a disc or tape for utilization.
Information & Library Science
- noun the size, shape and arrangement of a document
- verb to arrange text on screen as it will appear in printed form on paper
- noun the general page design or size of a publication
- noun the general style of an email or electronic marketing piece
- noun the presentation of a television show which makes it different from others of the same genre, e.g. on a game show, the set, the number of contestants, the way in which they are eliminated, the prize offered etc.
- noun the type and quality of recording equipment used
- noun the structure of a radio programme according to an agreed style, e.g. timings, fixed spots etc.
- noun the different size, shape and appearance of competing media products, e.g. the page size of a tabloid vs. broadsheet.