General English

General Science


  • noun the main part of a plough, to which the ploughshare and mouldboard are attached

Cars & Driving

  • noun a structure which is open in the centre, especially a general term referring to the underbody backbone of the car, both for unitary or separate chassis designs


  • noun a space on magnetic tape for one character code
  • noun a packet of transmitted data including control and route information
  • noun one single image within a sequence of different images that together show movement or animation. Each frame is normally slightly different from the previous one to give the impression of movement.
  • noun a set of commands that allow the main window of a browser to be split into separate sections, each of which can be scrolled independently. This allows lots of information to be presented clearly.
  • noun a standard unit of information that contains a header with the destination address and sender’s address followed by the information and a trailer that contains error detection information


  • An assembly of vertical and horizontal structural members.


  • The information presented in a single complete picture at any given moment. For instance, a complete picture displayed on a TV, computer monitor, or that of a single complete picture within a motion-picture film. Also, such single images contained in a videotape, or within an animated graphics sequence.
  • Within a pulse train, a single cycle.
  • A block of data of a specific size, or of a maximum size, transmitted in a communications network. Also called data frame (3).
  • In fax communications, the rectangular area of copy that a given fax system can handle.
  • A Web browser feature that divides a given window into separate segments which can be independently manipulated.
  • In a speaker, a structure that supports the cone suspension and magnet assemblies. It is usually made of plastic or metal. Also called basket.
  • A structure which provides shape and/or support.


  • verb to arrange for someone to appear to be guilty

Media Studies

  • noun the borders of a film shot or scene


  • noun the particular size and shape of someone’s body
  • noun a solid support for something.


  • noun a movable, resizable box that holds text or an image
  • noun a desk where a compositor works, with cases for type
  • verb to put a rule or border round an illustration

Origin & History of “frame”

Frame comes from the preposition from, whose underlying notion is of ‘forward progress’. this was incorporated into a verb framian in Old English times, which meant ‘make progress’. Its modern meaning started to develop in the early middle English period, from ‘prepare, make ready’, via the more specific ‘prepare timber for building’, to ‘construct, shape’ (the Middle English transitive uses may have been introduced by the related Old Norse fremija). The noun frame was derived from the verb in the 14th century. Incidentally, if the connection between from and frame should seem at first sight far-fetched, it is paralleled very closely by furnish, which came from the same prehistoric Germanic source as from.