- adjective tasting of fruit
- adjective deep and attractive
- adjective sexually suggestive or provocative. In the former sense the word has become a common colloquialism, as in fruity jokes/stories, etc. In the latter sense it remains a more restricted slang term in use especially among British cockneys and their imitators.
- adjective strange or eccentric. The word is often used adverbially as in ‘acting fruity’. It presumably derives from the noun fruitcake.
- used to describe a wine with a pleasant bouquet, smell and taste of fruit. This bouquet is produced by the aromatic esters developed in a wine by chemical reactions between the acids and alcohol.