- noun the use of a fumigant to kill microorganisms or insects
- noun a high amount of air pollution near the ground, caused when the morning sun heats the air and forces polluted air down from higher levels
- noun disinfection by means of gas or fumes which penetrate into cracks and holes, a process that is probably more efficient that spraying or scrubbing
- noun the process of killing insects in an area with gas or smoke
- the process used to sterilise barrels by burning sulphur in a closed barrel. The burning sulphur forms sulphur dioxide, which kills any yeast or bacteria left in the barrel.