- noun a means of doing or achieving something
- noun software that allows mail messages to be sent via a different route or to another network
- noun a device that links two dissimilar networks
- noun a software protocol translation device that allows users working in one network to access another
- noun a piece of software that allows email messages to be sent via a different route or to another network
- A device which enables networks to connect by performing the necessary protocol conversions. For example, a gateway could carry out the translation between T1 and E1, between Ethernet and token ring, or between messaging protocols.
- In a communications network, or multiple interconnected networks, a device or software which determines where packets, messages, or other signals travel to next A gateway, using resources such as header information, algorithms, and router tables, establishes the best available path from source to destination. Within the OSI Reference Model, a gateway operates at the network layer. Also called router, or network router.
- noun a town which leads to an area