- A computer card that enables it to display images. When a computer generates images, this card converts them into the electronic signals that serve as the input to the display device, such as the monitor. The graphics card determines factors such as the maximum resolution and number of colors that can be displayed. An appropriate monitor must be utilized to best benefit from the capabilities of such a card. Graphics cards usually incorporate their own memory, thus not occupying the RAM of the computer for preparing images. Also known by various other names, including graphics adapter, graphics board, graphics controller, display adapter, display card, video adapter, video card, and video display card.
- synonymgraphics adapter
- synonymgraphics board
- synonymgraphics controller
- synonymgraphics display adapter
- noun an electronic device, usually on an expansion card, in a computer that converts software commands into electrical signals that display graphics on a connected monitor
- noun a cable that allows a computer to be connected to a television or video screen to give a larger display while still retaining digital image quality