General English

Cars & Driving

  • noun a channel at the edge of a road to carry away rainwater


  • noun a blank space or inner margin between two facing pages


  • A shallow channel of wood, metal, or PVC positioned just below and following along the eaves of a building for the purpose of collecting and diverting water from a roof.
  • In electrical wiring, the rectangular space allowed around the interior of an electrical panel for the installation of feeder and branch wiring conductors.

Information & Library Science

  • noun the inside margin between two pages of type.


  • noun the area where the two pages meet in a book or magazine. It can be left blank as a centre margin, or can be printed across to form a double-page spread.

Media Studies

  • noun the fold between the two pages in the centre spread of a magazine or newspaper

Real Estate

  • noun a metal or plastic channel fixed to the eaves of a roof for carrying away rainwater
  • noun a channel at the edge of a road that carries water into a drain

Origin & History of “gutter”

Etymologically, a gutter is something along which ‘drops’ of water run. Its distant ancestor is Latin gutta ‘drop’ (source also of English gout). From it was formed the vulgar Latin derivative *guttāria, which passed into English via Anglo-Norman gotere. The use of the word as a verb, meaning (of a flame) ‘flicker on the point of going out’, comes from the channel, or ‘gutter’, formed down one side of a candle by the melted wax flowing away.