- striking a surface with a special tool so as to roughen it.
- A style of brick-laying in which the bottom edge is set in from the plane surface of the wall.
- In a stone wall, the breaking of a single course into two or more courses, sometimes for effect but usually because of the scarcity of larger stones.
- The writing or refining of source code or computer programs, especially in an ingenious and elegant manner.
- The breaking into a computer system by circumventing or otherwise defeating the protective measures of said system.