Cars & Driving
- noun a modification of custom cars with separate chassis, e.g. pick-ups, which raises the floorpan and lowers the body, to give the impression that the body has been pulled down over the chassis right down to street level
- noun a sudden tone change on a document that is transmitted over a fax machine as a gradual change, caused by equipment faults
- An unwanted prolongation in the vibration in a low frequency speaker after the driving signal has stopped. May be due, for instance, to insufficient damping. Also called ringing (3).
- An unwanted prolongation in the decay of a signal. In fax, for example, this may manifest itself as a tail that forms on the lines in the recorded copy. Also called tailing.
- noun a condition occurring after a person has drunk too much alcohol, with dehydration causing symptoms including headache, nausea and trembling of the hands
- noun a condition occurring after a person has drunk too much alcohol, with dehydration caused by inhibition of the antidiuretic hormone in the kidneys. The symptoms include headache, inability to stand noise and trembling of the hands.