- verb to produce a unique number derived from the entry itself, for each entry in a database
- electrical noise such as that caused by arcing, the contacts of a vibrator, or the brushes of a motor or generator.
- A form of radar clutter produced by background electrical noise. It may be manifested on a display screen, for instance, as a pattern resembling grass. Also, any similar interference appearing on a CRT screen. Also called grass.
- Electrical noise in a radio receiver, such as hissing.
- To calculate a hash total, or to produce a hash value.
- Meaningless, unwanted, incorrect, corrupted, or otherwise useless data. Such data can be entered by a user, or may be produced by a computer. Also called garbage (1).
- pieces of leftover meat served in a well-seasoned gravy or brown sauce with mashed potatoes and cooked vegetables
Information & Library Science
- noun a symbol (#) used to indicate the word ‘number’ in addresses
- noun a symbol used on telephones for a variety of functions
- noun a printed sign (#) which indicates one of a series of numbers