General English

General Science

  • noun the treatment of characters or symbols to make them stand out from the rest of the text, often by using bold type


  • noun a character or set of symbols treated so as to stand out from the rest of the text, often by using bold type
  • verb to make part of the text stand out from the rest


  • On a computer screen, an area which is displayed in a manner that it stands out. For example, a black text with a white background may be selected with the mouse and be converted into white-on-black. This text may then be deleted, copied, moved, have its font changed, and so on.
  • In a display screen, such as that of a TV, an especially bright area within the overall picture.

Information & Library Science

  • verb to colour or mark text on a document or computer screen to make it stand out from the rest

Media Studies

  • noun an area in a light tone in a picture that provides contrast or the appearance of illumination
  • noun the reflection of a light source in a photograph, e.g. the reflection of a studio light in somebody‚Äôs eye
  • verb to pick out parts of a picture with highlights to provide the appearance of illumination or prominence


  • noun the best part of something