- noun the treatment of characters or symbols to make them stand out from the rest of the text, often by using bold type
- noun a character or set of symbols treated so as to stand out from the rest of the text, often by using bold type
- verb to make part of the text stand out from the rest
- On a computer screen, an area which is displayed in a manner that it stands out. For example, a black text with a white background may be selected with the mouse and be converted into white-on-black. This text may then be deleted, copied, moved, have its font changed, and so on.
- In a display screen, such as that of a TV, an especially bright area within the overall picture.
Information & Library Science
- verb to colour or mark text on a document or computer screen to make it stand out from the rest
- noun an area in a light tone in a picture that provides contrast or the appearance of illumination
- noun the reflection of a light source in a photograph, e.g. the reflection of a studio light in somebody’s eye
- verb to pick out parts of a picture with highlights to provide the appearance of illumination or prominence
- noun the best part of something