- noun a period when an employee does not work, but rests, goes away and does things for pleasure
- A small area inadvertently missed during painting or other surfacing applications.
- An otherwise valid working day that has been designated as exempt. Holidays typically occur on a yearly basis. In the U.S., holidays may include New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- noun a day on which no work is done because of national or religious law
- noun a period when an employee does not work, but rests, goes away and enjoys himself or herself
Origin & History of “holiday”
was originally a ‘holy day’, a day set aside
as a religious festival. The first
signs of the word
being used for a ‘day on which no work is done’ (originally because
of its religious significance) appear
in the 14th century