- noun a suggestion that something may account for observed facts, though without proof, used as a basis for reasoning
- noun a prediction based on theory, but one which can nevertheless be tested in practice
- A theory, proposition, or concept which can be experimentally evaluated so as to be proved or disproved.
(written as Hypothesis)A conjecture, preferably with a clear foundation in theory, which can be empirically refuted (at least in principle).
- noun a tentative explanation for a phenomenon, used as a basis for further investigation
- noun a suggested explanation for an observation or experimental result, which is then refined or disproved by further investigation