- noun the action or process of establishing the identity of somebody or something
- noun the process by which a person, aircraft, etc., is recognised
- A process or technique which enables the recognition of an individual, entity, process, and so on. Examples include digital identification, caller identification, and face recognition. When referring to the evidence provided for identification, its abbreviation is ID.
- noun the act of showing who someone is
Information & Library Science
- noun any means used to establish who somebody is, e.g. a document, mark, number or password
- noun the act of identifying someone or something
- noun the ability of people to identify and sympathise with a fictional character