- noun a grouped number/letter code by which a device, block or file can be recognized
- noun a grouped number/letter code by which a weather station or beacon can be recognised
- noun a set of characters used to distinguish between different blocks of data or files.
- In computers, one or more characters which serve to identify a variable, data element, record, file, program, storage location, or the like.
Information & Library Science
- noun the grammatical term for the definite and indefinite articles in English
- noun any tag, flag or mark put on a computer file to differentiate it from others