- noun a switch that activates the ignition system of a vehicle or aircraft
- noun the starting of burning of a substance
- noun the moment, in an internal combustion engine, when a spark from the spark plug causes the fuel/air mixture to burn
- noun an electrical system, usually powered by a battery or magneto, that provides the spark to ignite the fuel mixture in an internal-combustion engine
Cars & Driving
- noun a process which initiates the combustion of the compressed air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. In a spark ignition engine, the mixture is ignited by an electric spark; in a diesel engine, the self-igniting mixture must be preheated by glow plugs when a cold start is performed.
- The raising of the temperature of a substance, such as the fuel mixture in an automobile, to its ignition point.
- The means utilized to produce ignition (1). This may be accomplished, for instance, electrically or through friction.
- A switch or other mechanism which activates an ignition system.