- noun the basic framework of a system or organisation
- noun the basic facilities and systems of a country or city, e.g. roads, pipelines, electricity and telecommunications networks, schools or hospitals
- Improvements supporting an area, including transportation, roadways, communication, and utility systems.
- noun the roads, rail network, sewers, hospitals, schools and other basic utilities which are owned by a government and provided for public use.
Information & Library Science
- noun basic structures which enable a country, society or organisation to function effectively
- noun basic amenities and facilities upon which a modern society relies in order to function properly (such as electricity, roads and railways, telecommunications, water, etc.)
- noun large-scale public systems and services, such as roads and railways, that are necessary for a country’s economy to function properly