- noun something for sale
- noun a piece of information
- noun a point on a list
Information & Library Science
- noun one of a collection or list of objects
- noun a piece of reported news, e.g. in a newspaper or on television
- noun an object or thing (especially one of several different things)
- noun a matter for discussion
- noun a current (sexual) relationship, a couple. An Americanism of the 1970s which became widespread in the 1980s in expressions such as ‘they’re an item’. This use of the word began as journalese or jargon of the sort practised by Variety magazine, it then passed into show business, ‘society’ and, subsequently, teenage usage.
- noun an actual or potential sexual partner. A depersonalising reference, like unit, heard typically in the context of US singles’ bars since the 1970s.