Cars & Driving
- noun a slot cut into a component which accepts the key (b) of another component to ensure such a tight fit that the two components operate as one
- A recess or groove in one lift or placement of concrete that is filled with concrete of the next lift, giving shear strength to the joint. Also called a key.
- In a cylindrical lock, the aperture that receives and closely engages the key for its entire length, unlike a keyhole of a common lock.
- A key-accepting groove in a shaft, pulley, sprocket, wheel, etc.
- The slot or groove a key (2) is inserted into. Also spelled key way.