- noun a piece of information attached to something that gives information about it
- noun a piece of paper attached to produce, showing the price and other details
- noun a small piece of paper or cloth attached to an article with details of its owner, contents, use, destination, etc.
- verb to add identifying words and numbers to a diagram
- noun a word or other symbol used in a computer program to identify a routine or statement
- noun a character or set of characters used to identify a variable or piece of data or a file
- verb to print an address on a label
- A projecting molding along the sides or top of a window.
- Manufacturer identification located on a product that contains the manufacturer's name, the product's performance characteristics, and any testing information by inspection agencies.
- An item, name, image, or symbol which serves to identify something. For instance, a name or code which is assigned to a computer file, data element, program, subroutine, instruction, variable, storage location, or storage medium. Another example is an adhesive paper which describes the content of the tape or disk it is adhered to. Also, to identify by using such a label.
Information & Library Science
- noun a piece of paper or card attached to something giving information about it such as its price or address
- noun a word or symbol used in computing to identify a piece of data
- noun a simple headline giving straight details of what a story contains, e.g. ‘interview with…’
- noun a piece of paper or card attached to an object or person for identification
- noun a piece of paper or card attached to something to show its price, an address or instructions for use, etc.
- a piece of printed paper that is stuck around a bottle of wine giving the name of the wine and other details about the wine and its origins