General English

Cars & Driving

  • noun the edge of a sheet metal panel folded at right angles to the basic panel contours; often used to mount the panel to an adjacent panel, e.g. for spot welding


  • A rounded, overhanging edge or member.


  • noun each of two fleshy muscular parts round the edge of the mouth
  • noun an edge of flesh round an opening


  • noun cheek, back-chat. The expression dates to at least 1818 and is typically used by authority figures to characterise the utterances of unruly subordinates. It is a common usage in Britain and Australia, but less so in the USA.
  • verb to play a wind instrument, blow. A jazz musicians’ term.