Cars & Driving
- noun the portion of space found in the vicinity of a magnetic body or a current-carrying medium in which the forces due to the body or current can be detected
- noun a description of the polarity and strength of magnetic effects at a point
- The region in space surrounding a magnetic body or entity, such as a permanent magnet or a conductor carrying a current, where an appreciable magnetic force is present. Such a field is represented by magnetic lines of force. The planet earth has a magnetic field, and its lines of force are considered to extend from the north magnetic pole to the south magnetic pole.
- In an electromagnetic field, the magnetic field. The magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric field.
- noun an area round an object which is under the influence of the magnetic force exerted by the object