- A transducer which converts electrical signals into magnetic signals which can be recorded or stored on magnetic recording media, such as tapes or disks. Also called magnetic recording head, recording head, or write head.
- A transducer which converts magnetic signals recorded or stored on magnetic recording media, such as tapes or disks, into output electrical signals. When used in the context of tape which has audio and/or video, the signals are usually said to be reproduced, while in the context of data, the signals are usually said to be read. Also called magnetic read head, magnetic reading head, read head, reading head, playback head, play head, or reproduce head.
- A device which serves to delete material recorded on a magnetic storage medium, such as a magnetic tape or disk. For instance, an AC erase head employs AC to create an alternating magnetic field which erases the tape. Also called erase head.
- A transducer which combines the functions of a magnetic head (1) and a magnetic head (2). Also called magnetic read/write head, or read/write head (2).
Information & Library Science
- noun an electromagnetic device that reads, writes or erases data on a magnetic medium