magnetic tape drive
- A mechanical device, such as that in a tape deck, which moves a magnetic tape past the heads, for recording, reproducing, or erasing. Such a drive also fast-forwards and rewinds tapes. Also called magnetic tape transport, tape drive (1), or drive (4).
- In computers, a magnetic tape drive (1) used for reading or writing data. Also, a peripheral which incorporates such a drive. Also called magnetic tape unit, or tape drive (2).
- synonymmagnetic tape transport
- synonymmagnetic tape unit
- noun a computer-controlled magnetic tape drive mechanism