- noun a narrow length of thin plastic coated with a magnetic material used to store signals magnetically
- A tape utilized for magnetic recording. Such a tape usually consists of a strip of plastic, paper, or metal which is coated or impregnated with a magnetizable material such as iron oxide particles. magnetic tape may be utilized to make analog or digital recordings of data, audio, and/or video. Also called tape (2), or recording tape (1).
Information & Library Science
- noun tape coated with a magnetic material so that electrical signals can be recorded on to it for speech, film or computer information
- noun a thin strip of material, usually plastic, coated with iron oxide and used to record sounds, images or data
- noun a type of tape used for recording sound, images or computer data