- noun a specified region within an image, which can be coded to appear transparent or opaque. A matte is reveals or masks off part of an image in another plane, and is normally used for special effects in which an object is photographed against a specially coloured background that is then replaced with another image to give the impression that the object appears against that image.
- adjective of a photographic print, not made on shiny paper.
- noun a mask used for covering part of an image so that another image can be put on top of the original
- noun a cover for a camera lens with a cut-out shape such as a key-hole, to give a particular effect when filming
- noun a post-production technique in which objects can be separated from their background, and moved around