- noun a complex disorder with symptoms of profound fatigue, claimed to be alleviated by some food supplements.
- noun (written as ME)a complex disorder with symptoms of profound fatigue and any of a range of other symptoms, including pain, muscle weakness, loss of brain function, hypersensitivity, digestive disturbances and depression.
- acronym formetabolisable energy (written as ME)
- acronym formetabolised energy (written as ME)
- noun the proportion of energy from feed which is used by an animal through its metabolism.
- acronym formyalgic encephalomyelitis (written as ME)
- noun a long-term condition affecting the nervous system, in which someone feels tired and depressed and has pain and weakness in the muscles.
- acronym formyalgic encephalopathy (written as ME)
Origin & History of “me”
Me is an ancient and widespread word. It goes back to Indo-European *me, which is the source of the pronoun corresponding to me in all modern Indo-European languages (for instance German mich, Dutch mij, Swedish mig, French, Italian, and Spanish me, Greek me, emé, and Welsh and Irish mi). The derivative mine is equally ancient, but my is a later shortening of mine.