- noun a device to measure a physical property such as current, rate of flow or air speed
- noun a device to measure current, rate of flow, vertical distance, speed, etc.
Cars & Driving
- noun a device for measuring the quantity of a substance passing through it
- verb to supply at a measured rate
- noun a device which measures the amount of something which has been used
- The base unit of length in the metric system of measurement. A meter is equivalent to 39.37 inches.
- A device for measuring the flow of liquid, gas, or electrical current. See Table of Equivalents in Appendix.
- The SI unit of distance. It is defined as the distance that makes the speed of light in a vacuum exactly 299,792,458 meters per second. Thus, a meter is the distance traveled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 second. Its abbreviation is m. Also spelled metre.
- An instrument or device which is utilized to measure, and usually indicate, a physical quantity or other value. There are numerous examples, including ammeters, absorptiometers, barometers, chronometers, dB meters, galvanometers, and voltmeters.
- noun a device for measuring something such as audio levels
(written as -meter)measuring instrument
- noun a device installed inside or outside a residential or commercial building to measure the amount of electricity consumed in a specific period