- noun a piece of equipment for showing information or recording a process
- noun a VDU used to display high quality text or graphics, generated by a computer
- noun a system that watches for faults or failures in a circuit
- verb to look after and supervise a process or experiment to make sure it is operating correctly
- A raised section of a roof, often along the ridge of a gable roof, with louvers or windows in the side for ventilation or light.
- In closed-circuit television, a video display device used to check the quality of a picture or image transmitted by a camera.
- A device utilized to display the images generated by a computer, TV, oscilloscope, radar, camera, or other similar device with a visual output. It incorporates the viewing screen and its housing. A specific example is a CRT. Also called display (1), display device, display monitor, or video monitor (1).
- A monitor (1) utilized to present the output of a computer. Also called video monitor (2).
- A device or instrument which is utilized to sample, measure, assess, regulate, observe, or control a process or system. Also, to use such a device or instrument, for instance, to assess performance or to make sure an observed value is within the desired interval.
- A device, such as a monitor (1) or a speaker, which is utilized to keep track of the quality of a recording or broadcast.
- Software which supervises a computer program, system, or network, to help insure that it is functioning properly. Also, the use of such software.
Information & Library Science
- noun a visual display unit used to show the text and graphics generated by a computer
- verb to make regular checks to see how something or somebody is working
- noun a receiving device used to show video or closed-circuit television pictures
- noun somebody who listens to and checks broadcasts for a client or employer, e.g. to learn foreign news or discover secret plans
- noun a receiver in a television studio that allows the audience to watch the recorded sections of a show or performers to view parts of the programme
- verb to use an electronic receiver to check the quality of transmitted audio or visual signals
- verb to examine how someone is progressing
- noun part of a surveillance or detection system which the operator looks at or listens to (e.g. a television screen in a CCTV system)
- verb to listen to other people’s radio transmissions, in order to know what is happening
- verb to find out what is happening, without getting involved