- noun a high power and high speed field effect transistor manufactured using MOS techniques.
- acronym formetal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor
- Acronym for metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistor. A field-effect transistor whose gate is insulated from the channel by a thin layer consisting of a metal oxide, such as silicon dioxide. MOSFETs feature extremely high input impedance and low power consumption, and are used, for instance, in high-gain audio amplifier circuits, and for computer memory. It is a type of IGFET, and both terms are usually utilized synonymously, but MOSFET is a much more common term. Also called MOS transistor.
- acronym formetal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor
- acronym formetal-oxide semiconductor transistor