- noun (written as MPEG)a group of developers that have defined a series of standards to improve audio and video quality but at the same time increase data compression so that the audio or video information takes less space but retains its quality.
- (written as MPEG)A series of standards for the lossy compression of digital audio and video, and multimedia applications. A system may be equipped with a special board for enhanced playback.
- (written as MPEG)A specific standard within this series, such as MPEG-3.
Information & Library Science
- noun (written as MPEG)a data file for moving pictures on the Internet.
- suffix a file extension for an MPEG file.
- noun a computer format for video data