- noun somebody who is easily cheated
- verb to make exaggerated facial expressions in front of a camera
- noun the face. The word has had this meaning since the early 1700s; it derived from the practice of making china drinking-mugs decorated with grotesque human faces.
- noun a fool, dupe. This use of the word was inspired by the image of the victim as an open-mouthed receptacle.
- In the theater, to mug is to pull exaggerated grimaceswhile acting. The phrase to mug up, meaning to study hardfor an exam, etc., may also derive from the theater, where an actor,while making up his face or 'mug' would hurriedly read over his lines.