- A circuit or device which simultaneously transmits two or more signals which have been combined into a single channel. An optical multiplexer, for instance, combines multiple signals at different wavelengths.
- A circuit or device which combines multiple low-speed transmissions into a single high-speed transmission, and vice versa. Also called inverse multiplexer (2).
Information & Library Science
- noun a device for sending several data streams down a communications line and for splitting a received multiple stream into components
- noun a device for transferring projected film to video
- noun a circuit that combines a number of inputs into a smaller number of outputs.