- A circuit or device which reduces the volume of, or silences sounds. Also, to use such a circuit or device. For example, by pressing the mute button of the remote control of a receiver, the output sound is either significantly reduced or silenced.
- A circuit which disables a given sound input or output. For instance, when using a transceiver, the pressing of a button to silence the receiver when transmitting. Also, to use such a circuit or device.
- A circuit which automatically disables a given sound input or output. For example, a squelch circuit. Also, the operation of such a circuit.
- adjective felt or expressed without speech
- noun somebody who is unable or unwilling to speak