natural language processing
- The conversion of a natural language input into digital form, so that computers may understand and respond to it. Used, for instance, to convert words, phrases, and sentences spoken into a microphone into computer actions, or text which can be displayed, processed, saved, or printed. The term also applies to such processing of a written natural language text which is scanned. Its abbreviation is NL processing, or NLP. Also called natural language recognition, natural language understanding, or natural language comprehension.
- abbreviationNL processing
- synonymnatural language comprehension
- synonymnatural language recognition
- synonymnatural language understanding
Information & Library Science
- noun the branch of computational linguistics concerned with the use of artificial intelligence to process natural languages, as in machine translation.