- noun the characteristics that make someone or something what they are
- noun all living organisms and the environments in which they live
- noun the world, especially plants, animals and their environment in general
- noun sort or type
- noun the countryside or the environment in a condition relatively unaffected by human activity or as the home of living things other than human beings
- noun the intrinsic or essential qualities of a person or thing
- noun the essential quality of something
- noun the genetic make-up which affects personality, behaviour or risk of disease.