- adjective indicating an electrical charge which is neither positive nor negative
- adjective indicating the position of a switch or lever which leaves a system active but not engaged, e.g. an engine gear lever position in which the engine is disconnected from the driven parts
- adjective indicating the middle position of a control surface providing no aerodynamic effect other than that as part of the wing
Cars & Driving
- noun the position of the gearbox in which no gear is engaged; indicated by the letter N on automatic gear selectors
- adjective with no state, bias or voltage
- An electrical conductor used as the primary return path for current during normal operation of an electrical device.
- The center tap of a three- or four-wire transformer. Neutral cable will carry current when there is an unbalanced load between wires.
- Said of a technological change or technological difference if it is not biased in favor of using more or less of one factor than another. This can be defined in several different ways that are not normally equivalent: Hicks-neutral, Harrod neutral, and Solow neutral.
- Said of economic growth if it expands actual or potential output of all goods at the same rate, not being biased in favor of one over another. In the Heckscher-Ohlin Model neutral growth will occur if allfactor endowments grow at the same rate or if there is Hicks Neutral technological progress at the same rate in all industries.
- Said of a trade regime if the structure of protection favors neither exportables nor importables. See bias.
- That which has no electric charge. For example, an atom or molecule with an equal number of protons and electrons.
- That which has no voltage. For instance, a circuit at ground potential.
- That which is neither acid nor basic. For instance, a solution whose pH is 7.0.
- That which does not depend on a specific architecture or configuration. For example, a platform-independent computer application.
- adjective not taking sides in a dispute
- adjective not allied to or supporting either of two opposing sides in a war or conflict
- adjective referring to a country which refuses to take part in wars or which does not join in a war
- used to describe a wine that is drinkable but has no special qualities